Should I submit a request and can DFEH help me?

How do I submit a request?

The DFEH maintains the authority to investigate complaints of discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, public accommodations and hate violence. If you believe you are the victim of illegal discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, public accommodations or hate violence, you may file a complaint to initiate the complaint process using any of the options below.


Can DFEH help me?

Many persons believe they have been treated unfairly or harassed in employment opportunities, in renting or purchasing a home, or in receiving service in a business establishment. The Department can accept cases only based on possible violations of the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), the Unruh Civil Rights Act,  the Ralph Civil Rights Act, or the Disabled Persons Act.  Should your complaint not be investigated, it is not because DFEH does not believe you were treated unfairly.  Rather it is because your complaint, if proven, would not constitute a violation of the laws enforced by the Department.  Read more about the laws enforced by the DFEH.

To find out if DFEH can assist you:

  1. Begin now and answer the Department's automated jurisdiction screening questions, or
  2. Call the Communication Center at (800) 884-1684.  For persons with a hearing impairment, use the Videophone at (916) 226-5285 or TDD at (800) 700-2320.
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.
Powered by Zendesk